Saturday, July 14, 2012



I love this. 
He's right.  When you do what you love, it doesn't feel like work at all.  I will again be teaching 4th grade starting one month from today at Oak Hill.  I'm passionate about what I do, and adding technology to the mix just feels like icing on the cake.  10-year-olds simply inspire me.  They challenge me.  They're just brutally honest and tell it like it is.  They push me to be better, and most days I feel so guilty that I learn more from them than they do from me... but I'm realizing that that's okay.  More on that later.


In October, 2011, I attended a flipped workshop by Brian Bennett at Harrison High School, and he challenged me to think outside the box.  Actually, I don't think there was a box present at all.  I spent the remainder of the year wanting to jump in, wanting to "flip," but lived in fear.  I created a web site for my class and added content and basic information, but never could add my own videos.  Why?  Because I didn't want to mess it up; I wanted my videos to be... well, perfect.  

I was so excited to attend #flipcon12 in Chicago in June, 2012; my mind is still swimming from all I learned.  Wow.  In his keynote, Brian made a statement that stayed with me: "Do you need it perfect, or do you need it Tuesday?"  He's right.  So, enough living in fear.  I'm making the leap to a flipped classroom.  I've danced around it long enough.  I've read about it, researched it, chatted about it via Twitter,  (#flipchat) watched videos about it, and it's time.  It just makes sense.


I will be flipping several lessons this year, reflecting along the way, and I'm anxious to see where we go.  I will post the web tools I'll be using in a future post, as I have learned soooooooo much this summer. 

Here we go.  We're going to flip for 4th graders.  It will get bumpy, a little messy, but filled with tons of learning - for all of us.  It won't be perfect, and that's okay.  



Feel free to follow our journey here...

No comments:

Post a Comment