Saturday, July 21, 2012

Something amazing happened on
the way to August...


Wowzers!  How much fun can July get?  Well, let me tell you about what some amazing, talented, & smart 10-year-olds did.  You're going to be inspired!

Our adventure together started back in March, when I started an after-school "Tech Club" for 4th graders.  It's no secret that I love exploring new web tools and seeing how they can inspire our young learners.  There was so much I wanted to do - so many tools I wanted to explore - and there was simply not enough time to do all of that during our limited 7-hour school day.  So, the Oak Hill Tech Club was born and we met a few days each week after school to explore, play, and learn!

What happened during our time together was an incredible surprise.  I didn't plan for it, though I wish I had.  Students began teaching each other how to use various web tools, including Weebly.  It wasn't long before each student had their own web site.  They had the freedom to create their sites based on their hobbies, their passions, and services to others.  One student, also a Chess Club member, created a site to explain how to play chess!  He recognized that there were lots of students who wanted to be in the Chess Club, but didn't know how to play.  Problem solved.  A few others worked together to design a site for their duct tape business!  (Now, I know what you're wondering... YES! they sold their products and made some money, too!)  Here is the link to the sites we have created so far.  Check 'em out.

We began to experience our Tech Club differently on our second day together.  No longer did the students run to me with their questions.  They explored and researched - together - to find the answers - and then shared their new learning with each other.  Wow!  I still remember the day that some of them discovered "Vokis" for the first time!  What a fun day that was!
 
Teachers and parents visited us, watched all the tech tools the students were using, and some of them said, "I want to learn how to do that!" 
So... I realized...
They're teaching each other, why can't they TEACH TEACHERS?  Well, there's no reason they can't...

So, we submitted a proposal titled, "Weebly Rocks!" (...because we really think it does!) for the 2012 EVSC eRevolution Conference here in Evansville.  Fast forward to July - we were the only elementary students who attended the conference - and we didn't just show up!  We presented!  Wow!


Weebly Rocks! - eRevolution Conference July 2012






1 comment:

  1. You have so many great ideas! I am your newest follower and a fellow 4th grade teacher! I found you one Teaching Blog Addict. Come check out my blog:
    Fancy Free in Fourth

    ReplyDelete